Friday, April 6, 2012

The Project's Close

Well, I've reached the end of the critical writing period. Today is Friday, and that means I am expected to hand in a hyperlink of this blog to my teacher. At the beginning of this writing period I made a goal of posting something about this movie at least once a day. As you can see from my grand total of four posts (after this one), I may have come up a little short. I think though that this reflects a deeper interests in the topics I discussed, and  I wanted to pursue them further in longer, more detailed posts.

I find it difficult to close such a subject. Everything I have written about has been found in a movie. Most times when I watch a movie, its plot, characters, and messages are lost to me in the span of a month. However, everything I have written about is also grounded in truth. It's because of this close connection between a fictitious romantic thriller and what actually occurs in Africa that this movie will remain with me well beyond my short attention span. I will remember it for its important, and accurate, depiction of the slums and its relation to the power authority of Africa. I will remember it for its scenes of international aid, whether it was a corporate effort or a governmental one. Above all else, I will remember how this movie was able to portray an Africa that might be going through all of these problems - but as symbolized by its strong characters (whether they were African or not)- it is completely capable of solving them and reaching the ranks of developed countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment